Building a business directory and charging money for subscriptions has long been a great business model. It has never been easier. When you look for a business directory, consider the following:
- Responsive theme which automatically adapts itself to mobile devices.
- Geo-location - put businesses on a map. Location-based search.
- Ability to charge money for premium listings.
- Affiliate support.
- Ability to turn the premium listings into full shops.
Wordpress or Drupal?
- A Drupal business directory is not hard to do. Drupal will allow you create a much more flexible business directory, with much better performance, which allows for easier intergation with 3rd party services.
- Wordpress will allow you to start faster, with more features. You will find ready-made solutions which provide a good starting point. Those solutions will be harder to expand later on.
Building a Drupal Business Directory
There are many Drupal-based business directories out there - look at the business directories group for some of them.
Choosing a Wordpress-based Business Directory Solution
The WPMU Wordpress Directory plugin is the most flexible solution, especially with the pro sites addon (allows each business to open it's own site), e-commerce addon (allows each business to sell products) and affiliate addon. Google maps and local listing needs to be manually added - look here, here and here for details.