Today I've installed panopoly - a new kind of Drupal distribution. The amazing screen above shows how panopoly looks after immediately after installation. The layouts are fully responsive - just wonderful. And there are tons of modules built-in, with no need for separate installation. If you start a new Drupal site today, I would recommend to install it - this is the most powerful and feature-complete distribution I've seen to date. (Some of the other features include: Responsive menus, Administration views, Better modules display). Here is a presentation which explains it all:
Here is how i have installed panopoly on a cpanel-based account using SSH. All the process took five minutes.
Installation works out of the box (assuming you have Drush installed on this cpanel account)
- Create a new database called panopoly. Add a user with full permissions to that database. This is easy to do from the cpanel mysql databases screen.
- Go to your cpanel and create a new subdomain - e.g. panopoly.example.com. This create the directory panopoly.example.com under your public_html directory.
- Go to the directory where all your websites are stored:
- Download the distribution: wget http://ftp.drupal.org/files/projects/panopoly-7.x-1.0-rc3-core.tar.gz
- Create a symbolic link so that uncompression will be done to the target directory: ln -s panopoly.example.com panopoly-7.x-1.0-rc3-core
- Uncompress it: tar -zxvf panopoly-7.x-1.0-rc3-core.tar.gz
This will uncompress it to panopoly.example.com since we have created the subdirectory on step 2.
- cd panopoly.example.com
- drush si panopoly --db-url=mysql://panopoly:[email protected]/panopoly --account-name=admin --account-pass=admin
That's all! And now you can login to the site's URL and have tens of responsive layouts to choose from. It works with any theme. Tips here: http://drupal.org/node/1651100.